Saturday, November 3, 2012

Student movement


I have written various past posts on the student movement and especially the protests that brought Colombian higher education to a standstill last year.  In the aftermath of this general strike that lasted more than a month, there was some interesting commentary on how the student movement had evolved from unorganized bouts of violence to a coherent civic movement.  I don't know if I believe this.  I hope it's true, but at the university I work at I still see a seething ferment of resentment and the youthful drive to destroy.  In fact, recently in some universities of Colombia there have been masked students throwing homemade bombs again, and even short-lived student strikes.

At any rate, here is a link to a group that calls itself the Student Coordinator of Rural Affairs, which I believe has been behind a number of interesting recent marches to affirm popular sovereignty in many areas.  It seems a bit like a group of urban elite students who see fit to bend rural affairs to their leftist wishes, which is a common problem with left-wing groups.  But their hearts are in the right place.

No comments:

Post a Comment