Wednesday, June 18, 2014

More good news in Colombia

No, I'm not talking about the World Cup victory last weekend, though that's fine too.  I'm happy because the winner of Sunday's presidential election was the candidate that will continue peace talks with the FARC and ELN.  I'm not endorsing either him or his opponent, but I sure am glad that the peace talks, which started in late 2012 and seem to be unprecedented in their breadth and promise, will go on.  In fact, my wife feels that the election helped the general Colombian public to realize that these talks are indeed going on, and that peace is still a worthwhile goal for the country to pursue, even if the war has been relegated to the sidelines of consciousness for many urban dwellers who don't come into direct daily contact with it.

So that's good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment