Friday, February 12, 2016

Rising fascism in the West?

A few weeks ago, my cousin sent me this article about Poland's turn to the far right.  I read it just as I was worried about the same thing in the US.  It seems like there are a lot of people in a lot of parts of the world that are no longer just talking the usual intolerance for minorities and other "not-mainstream" groups of people.  No, from Trump down I am hearing a call for actual elimination of the other, I am seeing an explicit demonization, dehumanization, and proposals to totally violate the basic human rights of Muslims, Latino immigrants, and black victims of state crime.  I am seeing a pretty widespread desire to militarize our own domestic affairs, as well as calls to enter new wars abroad.  It's unprecedented for me to see this in US politics.  I mean, I've long abused the label of "fascist" to discredit anyone whose political positions were solidly to the right of my own.  But I didn't really mean it until now, when people are literally advocating for differentiated classes of citizenship and the bullying oppression of minority groups.  For a while I was severely depressed about this.  I feel less pessimistic about it now, but it may be less due to a change in the tone of US politics and more due to my avoiding the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment