Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Reading instead of writing

Lately I've been writing a lot less, both on my blog and in my diary.  This may surprise some people to hear, since my blog continues to publish a post every two days or so.  But usually what I do is pre-schedule a lot of posts when I am in a prolific writing mood.  So what you're reading now was often written weeks before.

Anyway, I've been reading a lot recently.  Novels, memoirs, some history.  Lots of women authors, since I usually read men and wanted to change and challenge my routine (among other things, I'd highly recommend She's Not There, a memoir by Jennifer Boylan about being transgender).  Above all, I've just been more interested in hearing other people's perspectives, absorbing what they have to say, as opposed to pontificating myself about this or that topic.  I guess we all go through phases, sometimes feel one way and other times another way, and I think that's all to the good.  Especially for me, it's probably healthy to listen to others instead of my instinct to opine and have others listen.  Life is just too varied and broad to cling too tenaciously or dwell too long on the necessarily narrow experiences and ideas of any one person, including oneself.

No comments:

Post a Comment