Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My workshop on sustainable development




A few weeks ago I led a workshop on sustainable development. Basically I explained sustainable development as a three-way balance between environmental sustainability, economic viability, and social equality. You can look at any development proposal through the lens of this conceptual triangle; some proposals are environmentally sound but not economically so, some proposals are very fair socially and economically, but they mess up the environment, etc. And if you want a development project you're designing to be sustainable, you should weigh these three aspects in your project design.

My presentation consisted in a definition of sustainable development (as well as of agroecology and permaculture, which are somewhat related concepts), followed by an analysis of a few cases of agrarian development projects. Then with the workshop attendees, we analyzed together the case of Las Gaviotas, a sustainable village I've written about on this blog. Finally I asked groups of attendees to put together and present their own sustainable development proposals for the villages affected by the massive closure of slaughterhouses here in our state of Boyaca. The workshop went really well, and I felt like a big deal.

Anyway, here are a few photos from the workshop.



No comments:

Post a Comment