Saturday, May 26, 2018

Leaving the US

Here is a fun little article about people from the US who have decided to live abroad, either for a short time or indefinitely.  Some cite political or economic reasons, and some are just looking to have a fun and interesting time.  It struck a special chord in me, because I left the US in 2005, and haven't really lived there on an intentional, full-time basis since then.  My job took me to Washington, DC in 2013, for what was supposed to be a few months but turned into two years; this was always a very temporary, precarious foot in the US, since we always thought we were going to be sent abroad just in the next few months.  Anyway, after so long outside of my country, I've really wanted to settle back there for a while now.  I just can't find a convenient time or way to do it.  So I really liked the last quote from the article, where someone who's been traveling abroad now feels both a newfound appreciation for all the good things in the US and a concern about the things that aren't going so well, and is eager to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment