Saturday, November 13, 2010

China in Latin America

This is an article about increasing Chinese investment and political dealing in Latin America. From my perch here in Colombia, I'd say that increasing investment and demand from China is a good thing, keeping in mind of course the caveats that we in Colombia should have present when dealing with any outside power. Namely, if investment or demand creates jobs and wealth here without exacerbating our gaping social inequalities, compromising our political sovereignty, or destroying our natural environment, then it is to be welcomed. Personally, I'm hoping that perhaps my recent efforts to get to know Chinese language and culture might serve me and my adopted country in the future. Maybe I can be a part of the increasing commercial ties between China and Colombia!

No comments:

Post a Comment