Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mothers' Day news from Colombia

We were at the farm this weekend for Mothers' Day, and I got a few more stakes driven to mark where I'll be planting shade trees in my future coffee plantation.  There were two dominant news items this weekend in Colombia.  One was the official sainthood ceremony in the Vatican for Mother Laura Montoya, the first Colombian to be named a saint.  I don't know anything about her, but according to this article she was an advocate for the marginalized indigenous population of our country.  I hope her example and recent newsworthiness will cause more Colombians to think about the poor and the marginalized.  On another note, and equally good news in my eyes, the infamous paramilitary leader Jorge 40 has been officially accused as the intellectual author of a horrible massacre in a town called El Salado in the year 2000.  He is already behind bars in the US for many other crimes, so I don't understand exactly if he'll be processed in Colombia or what, but it's good to see evil people called to trial for their sins.  At any rate, whether he ends up in the US or Colombia, I hope he gets a fair dosage of daily sodomy in his prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment