Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Children of Blood and Bone

This is a really cool young adult novel I heard about a while ago and wanted to get as a present to diversify the literary diet of some of the young adults in my family and social circle who like fantasy fiction.  I had to read it myself too, and I'm glad I did, because it is a heavy read.  Engrossing and well-done, but it offers a very real, raw representation of systematic oppression.  Lots of science fiction envisions dystopian futures where people are massively oppressed, but it's often crafted by people who in real life are quite removed from the direct experience of day-to-day oppression of them and theirs.  Children of Blood and Bone, on the other hand, is written by someone who's channeling the recent spate of police killings of black youth.  It is valuable and necessary and I think can help a lot of young people imagine and understand what it's like to be persecuted for who they are (or to look at their own situation in a new light, if they're living this already).  But I don't know if I'd recommend it for kids much younger than 15 or so.  For the time being, any younger kids I'm going to give it to their parents, and leave it up to them when to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment