Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Theological diplomacy

This is a fascinating article about how different countries are exporting their respective styles of Islam to other countries, as a form of soft-power diplomacy.  I can't think of present-day parallels in Christianity, except for the freelance Evangelical churches that do mission work in developing countries.  But these don't bear the official stamp of an organized country's diplomatic efforts, and my impression is that the most effusively missionary strains of Christianity are also the most radicalized; I don't think the centrist Lutheran or Methodist churches are aggressively promoting their moderate interpretation of Christianity abroad, but maybe they are and I just don't know about it.

In any case, just another reminder that there's a lot of stuff  going on around the world  that I have no clue about.

No comments:

Post a Comment