Thursday, May 27, 2010

Chinese pigs

Here's an interesting article I ran across that discusses the increasing production, consumption, and industrialization of meat in China. For the more adventurous, here's the FAO's report on global impacts of meat production. I've been meaning to read this one for years, but haven't gotten around to it. Do yourself a favor though, whether or not you read these reports--eat less meat. I'd say a good goal is eating like a quarter pound (that's 4 ounces) of meat every other day. That would put your annual meat consumption around 50 pounds a year, less than a quarter of the US average of 220 pounds a year. Also, if you want to see an interesting proposal my friend put together about creating a Chicago red meat tax to lower consumption, write me and I'll send it to you via email.

No comments:

Post a Comment