Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cilantro

Here's a funny little article on cilantro. I never used to like cilantro, sharing the soapy-flavor aversion described in the article. But after many years of hardly eating it, I started eating it a lot in soups and other things here in Colombia. And now I like it. Like the neuroscientist cited in the article, I came to enjoy the flavor, and no longer even detect a hint of soapiness. It's really fascinating to think that one can have prejudices of an inborn, semi-genetic nature. Normally dislikes and prejudices are formed by one's surrounding culture. But no one ever told me that cilantro tasted soapy; I arrived at that description myself. Even more interesting is that this objective, chemically-based aversion can also be overcome through a sort of psychological conditioning or de-conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment