Monday, June 28, 2010

Cyber bullying

Here's a NYT article on cyberbullying in schools. As often happens with the NYT, I don't know how relevant and widespread this phenomenon is, because the NYT tends to focus on trends in well-heeled, East Coast social circles. But I am not at all looking forward to dealing with this when my own kid is of grammar-school age. Here in Colombia kids have access to cellphones, internet, etc., but the whole cyber-bullying thing seems not to be as much of an issue. Who knows what the situation will be in ten years or so, here or in the US. I think my natural impulse would be to tell my kid to kick the ass of anyone who's bullying him or her. I don't believe in violence, but like Gandhi, I believe in resistance over passivity, even if that resistance has to be violent!

No comments:

Post a Comment