Sunday, June 20, 2010

Four more years of impunity?

I just got back from Bogota, where my wife went to vote today in the presidential runoff elections. But alas, despite her vote and the constructive political orientation we have given to friends, Colombia voted overwhelmingly for Juan Manuel Santos (to whom I will hereby refer as Piggy McFascist, for his appearance and his political philosophy). This is very sad for me, as it means that for at least four more years my adopted country will remain under a far-right-wing regime that tries to concentrate power in the executive branch and doesn't flinch at using bribery, surveillance, and even illegal executions of civilians to advance its agenda. My child will be born under this regime, and I will most likely raise him or her in this country. I hope for my child's sake that the Colombian public will change political course by the next presidential election. I hope even more that in the intervening four years our political system will not have been so corrupted and compromised as to permit a continued move towards a presidential dictatorship.

No comments:

Post a Comment