Wednesday, July 28, 2010

University of Fondwa

Here is a good article from a man who volunteered to teach math for a few weeks at the University of Fondwa. I find his tone frank and sincere but lacking the cliches that visitors to Haiti often have. Actually, I guess he does repeat some of the cliches (friendliness of Haitians, resilience amid adversity, etc.), but they are sincere observations. I am also particularly happy with the article because Fondwa is a place near and dear to me. I lived in Fondwa on my first stay in Haiti, and have been back numerous times since then. I once led a solidarity tourism trip from the US to Fondwa, and I participated in a very small way in the founding of the University of Fondwa 2004. I'm always excited to see Fondwa get good press, because much of the reporting on grassroots rural movements in Haiti focuses on the MPP, a peasant group in the center of the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment