Monday, August 16, 2010

Detroit agriculture

This is an article about soon-to-be-released prisoners that tend an urban garden. Since my days coordinating a community garden in the Altgeld Gardens housing project of Chicago, I've come to appreciate more and more the therapeutic nature of gardens. It seems that there is a lot of urban agriculture going on in Detroit. Here's an article about a guy who wants to become Detroit's urban farming tycoon, buying up large tracts of land from city government at bargain-basement prices, and turning it into large commercial farms. I applaud the guy's vision and initiative, but I don't think it's ever a good idea to deliver large amounts of resources to one person, even if those resources are in disuse or decay at the moment. If Detroit is to become agrarian, a fate I would celebrate, I prefer it be through many smaller-scale initiatives, as opposed to one big monopoly.

No comments:

Post a Comment